Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-22 5:05 am

Post subject: Wort, the Raidshenanigans
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-25 10:59 pm 

aka Wort, the Shaman Stormer

aka Purphoros' Wortshippers

This list is near to my heart, 'cause it's loosely based off the first deck I ever ran at an FNM (it was Ravnica/Coldsnap/Time Spiral standard, and I played a stompy RG goblins deck with some suspend/storm cards). I also love the idea of a clan of demented shamans worshipping their mighty volcano god.

Originally, I was worried that the deck wouldn't be fun to play against... it's more combo focused than any of my other decks, and it's got at least one infinite combo (Mana Geyser + Reiterate). But people seem excited/terrified of it making big numbers, so it's usually at least chuckle-worthy.

Commander: Wort, the Raidmother

Creatures
Young Pyromancer
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Jade Mage
Guttersnipe
Eternal Witness
Thelonite Hermit
Oracle of Mul Daya
Purphoros, God of the Forge
Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro
Deathforge Shaman
Wickerbough Elder
Kumano, Master Yamabushi

Other enchants
Shared Animosity
In the Web of War

Instants
Artifact Mutation
Fork
Reverberate
Increasing Vengeance
Sprout Swarm
Comet Storm
Respite
Price of Progress
Reiterate
Seething Song
Smash
Slice in Twain
Blunt the Assault
Manamorphose

Sorceries
Wheel of Fate
Banefire
Faithless Looting
Rampant Growth
Farseek
Nature's Lore
Time of Need
Restore
Explore
Recoup
Haze of Rage
Recollect
Spoils of Victory
Howl of the Horde
Kodama's Reach
Cultivate
Wheel of Fortune
Empty the Warrens
Skyshroud Claim
Ranger's Path
Explosive Vegetation
Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
Hunting Wilds
Reap and Sow
Harmonize
Past in Flames
Frenzied Tilling
Spire Barrage
Primal Command
Ignite Memories
Creeping Renaissance
Mana Geyser
Shamanic Revelation
Boundless Realms

Lands (38)
Gruul Turf
Stomping Ground
Kessig Wolf Run
Boseiju, Who Shelters All
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
16 Mountain
17 Forest

Last edited by Kemev on 2015-Nov-22 4:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Wort, the Raidshenanigans
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-26 1:50 am 

I played Ulasht for a long time, and I was often tempted to switch to Wort. It turned out to be Rith, but it's my less favorite deck. I think Conspire is a great mechanic, but the only card I ever wanted to Conspire was Giantbaiting because of this deck: https://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/ ... ily/boab/4

So what is it you'd want to conspire? The ramp spells are good, but what are you ramping into? Maybe a "land matters" card like Beacon of Creation. That seems to fit the Purphoros theme.

Conspiring draw spells should be wort(h) it, since you'd have more to Conspire. So what about Gaea's Blessing? That card does more than simply cantrip: it's mill protection and graveyard hate. Definitely underplayed in EDH. But you don't even run Regrowth, so I guess you aren't interested in recursion. Otherwise, Vengeful Rebirth is pretty good.

You could look for some stealing spells like Twist Allegiance (though I'm not sure what would happen...) or splashy spells like Warp World.

Reap and Sow might be good stuff, but it's a good and scalable card. I'd find your Valakut. Gamble seems nice as well.

Random good stuff suggestion: Decimate. How'd you call it if you decimate twice?

Also, you have two Wheel of Fates and no Wheel of Fortune.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-26 11:59 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
The ramp spells are good, but what are you ramping into?

Phase 1: Collect lands
Phase 2: ?
Phase 3: Profit

Seriously, the goal of the deck is to play more spells (not necessarily bigger spells). The main goal is to storm out with Empty the Warrens or Ignite Memories. Or dump a lot of mana into Kumano or one of the other activated ability guys.

With that in mind, Gaea's Blessing isn't very good, since I want to flashback most of my graveyard. I do like other recursion spells though; I'm thinking about downgrading Praetor's Counsel and Creeping Renaissance to something cheaper. (I'm not running Regrowth currently 'cause I'm too cheap to pay $3 for it.)

Reap and Sow is a good suggestion!

Decimate has often been less useful than I expected... getting enough targets is harder than it should be...

Shabbaman wrote:
Also, you have two Wheel of Fates and no Wheel of Fortune.

Oops, one of those is actually Wheel of Fortune (I misstyped it, 'cause I get the names mixed up a lot).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-26 2:47 pm 

Kemev wrote:
Shabbaman wrote:
The ramp spells are good, but what are you ramping into?
The main goal is to storm out with Empty the Warrens or Ignite Memories. Or dump a lot of mana into Kumano or one of the other activated ability guys.

Okay, uhhh... so, buyback spells? Wurmcalling or Haze of Rage, something like that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-26 3:33 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:
Wurmcalling or Haze of Rage, something like that.

Wurmcalling wasn't great in a previous iteration of this deck; Haze of Raze I keep waffling on putting in (I don't have a good reason not to play it - I just haven't gotten around to it).

I think the buyback card i REALLY want is Fanning the Flames.

The second smash should be Reforge the Soul.

I think I want to take out Creeping Renaissance and Praetor's Counsel for some cheaper recursion (I like Reap quite a bit). Or Primal Order, because bwahahahahaha!

Besides these and Fanning the Flames, other potentially interesting cards include Frenzied Tilling, Fork, and Hostility.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-27 6:25 am 

The only two things I can think of for this deck is Amulet of Vigor and possibly Hunting Pack. Hunting Pack probably won't storm quite as quickly as Empty the Warrens, but you should still get a few good creatures out of it that are harder to kill than goblins. Amulet of Vigor just helps all those lands you search up become immediately useful...

...although the price of Amulet of Vigor has gone up recently since Modern kinda messes everything up.

Say, I just realized you could probably make use of Battle Hymn in this deck. I suppose some more testing could probably tell you if you make enough creatures at any given point where it isn't just 'win more.'

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-27 10:06 am 

*blows away dust*

It's a bit old, but this was the Raid Mother list I ran and was very successful with in my EDH prime:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1676&p=20279#p20279

Two pieces of tech I enjoyed were Rude Awakening and Nostalgic Dreams. Both cards conspired are fairly nutty.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-27 8:48 pm 

@Pysces: Yeah, 4 years later and a lot of the core cards are still the same... ramp ramp ramp BANEFIRE ramp... Rude Awakening and Nostalgic Dreams are pretty spicy though; I've got a Rude Awakening somewhere, and I can probably round up the dreams.

Ok, shopping list: Fanning the Flames, Hostility, Nostalgic Dreams, Frenzied Tilling, Hunting Wilds, Reap

Already have the Fork, Reforge the Soul, and the Rude Awakening... just need to swap some stuff out...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-28 1:19 am 

Pysces wrote:
It's a bit old, but this was the Raid Mother list I ran and was very successful with in my EDH prime:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1676&p=20279#p20279

I like Grizzly Fate. If it's Purphoros you're aiming for, this seems the way to go. Similar cards: One dozen eyes, Firecat Blitz. That got me thinking, you'd want modal spells or entwine spells to adapt to what you have available. Last night Rude Awakening came to mind as well, but I recalled it was more like Overrun. So I searched with Gatherer for more hidden gems.

The first card I came across was Erratic Explosion. This seems wacky. Then I came across Explosive Revelation. Is this the same card but more expensive? No, it's card draw!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-22 4:14 pm 

Out: Nullmage Shepherd, Goblin Ruinblaster, Burning Earth, Fires of Yavimaya, Autumn's Veil, Shattering Pulse, Beast Within, Hull Breach, Creeping Renaissance, Praetor's Counsel

In: Deathforge Shaman, Spoils of Victory, Fork, Manamorphose, Howl of the Horde, Hunting Wilds, Reap and Sow, Frenzied Tilling, Spire Barrage

Mostly updating this 'cause I want to figure out what to cut for new cards... Nissa's Expedition, Nissa's Pilgramage, Nissa's Renewal, and Animist's Awakening all seem like contenders, plusMizzix's Mastery might be pretty ok :D

Some day, I will own a Three Visits.

I could also snow the lands so I could run Into the North, Highland Weald, and Skred. Nostalgic Dreams and Mizzium Mortars still float around my toolbox for this deck too...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-25 10:59 am 

Impact Tremors and Tempt with Vengeance? Both of those have done wonderfully for me.

Offline Profile