Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-22 5:07 am

Post subject: Momir Vig, Elfball Visionary
AgePosted: 2013-Jan-09 8:57 am 

I build this deck every now and then and play it in place of Saffi when I'm looking for a fun-but-not-oppressive combo deck. The deck has gotten considerably better as of late and I have high hopes that some yet to be spoiled Simic goodies will slot in here.

General: 1 Momir Vig, Simic Visionary

16 Forest
1 Island
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Windswept Heath
1 Terramorphic Expense
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Tropical Island
1 Breeding Pool
1 Flooded Grove
1 Hinterland Harbor
1 Simic Growth Chamber
1 Simic Guildgate
1 Command Tower
1 Gaea's Cradle
1 Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
1 Wirewood Lodge

1 Arbor Elf
1 Birchlore Rangers
1 Boreal Druid
1 Elvish Mystic
1 Essence Warden
1 Fyndhorn Elves
1 Heritage Druid
1 Joraga Treespeaker
1 Joraga Warcaller
1 Llanowar Elves
1 Nettle Sentinel
1 Quirion Ranger
1 Coiling Oracle
1 Devoted Druid
1 Elvish Visionary
1 Fauna Shaman
1 Joiner Adept
1 Multani's Acolyte
1 Priest of Titania
1 Quirion Elves
1 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
1 Seeker of Skybreak
1 Sylvan Ranger
1 Wellwisher
1 Wirewood Herald
1 Elvish Archdruid
1 Elvish Champion
1 Elvish Harbinger
1 Ezuri, Renegade Leader
1 Fyndhorn Elder
1 Greenweaver Druid
1 Imperious Perfect
1 Viridian Shaman
1 Wood Elves
1 Lys Alana Huntmaster
1 Nullmage Shepherd
1 Wirewood Channeler
1 Yeva, Nature's Herald
1 Gilt-Leaf Archdruid

1 Wirewood Symbiote
1 Scryb Ranger
1 Eternal Witness
1 Primordial Sage
1 Soul of the Harvest
1 Regal Force

1 Summoner's Pact
1 Glimpse of Nature
1 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Survival of the Fittest
1 Chord of Calling
1 Staff of Domination

1 Noxious Revival
1 Regrowth

1 Mobilize
1 Vitalize
1 Concordant Crossroads
1 Earthcraft
1 Mana Severance
1 Land Grant
1 Thousand-Year Elixir
1 Intruder Alarm
1 Cloudstone Curio

1 Akroma's Memorial
1 Blue Sun's Zenith
1 Hurricane

Current as of 22-viii-2013.

The goal is simple: play a bunch of Elves, draw a bunch of cards, Hurricane people out. Alternatively, you can Blue Sun's Zenith them out. Alternatively alternatively, you can be boring and just attack everyone with [massive]/[massive] elves. Vig is an excellent way to chain elves together with single card-drawing effects, but isn't necessary to go off, especially since the printing of Soul of the Harvest.

Sidisi - Nin

Last edited by Aggro_zombies on 2013-Aug-22 11:05 am, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Momir Vig, Elfball Visionary
AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 2:14 am 

Is there a good reason to use Hurricane instead of Squall Line? It seems like the instant should be better.

Edric seems like an easy add, unless you never, ever attack with your mana dorks.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 2:41 am 

I have a Portal Hurricane with sweet art. That's pretty much the only reason I use it over Squall Line.

Well, okay, that and I totally forgot that Squall Line existed.

The one thing I dislike about Edric is that he gives my opponents cards if they attack each other, which makes it easier for them to stop me if I want to go off (theoretically). And, yeah, I tend not to attack with my mana dorks prior to them being at least 40/40s.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 7:40 am 

These are both acceptable reasons to play Hurricane :P
I was gonna say Boseiju also, because for some reason I thought it was sorceries only, but nm.

Is that really a drawback with Edric? It seems like there are usually two scenarios with 'em.

Scenario #1: You play Edric. Your opponents murder each other.
Scenario #2: You play Edric. Your opponents sit glaring sweatily at each other, like tubbier versions of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. They are murdered by a herd of elves.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 10:29 am 

I suppose that's one way to look at it. Edric has been suggested before by others and I just wasn't impressed on paper, but I can try him over Mystical Tutor (which is actually not that hot these days). Edric seems much better if I add Zamek Guildmage into the Packmaster slot since the pump makes my mana dorks less fragile.

My only worry is that I won't have enough blue mana. As it is, right now Blue Sun's Zenith is actually pretty difficult to cast because of UUU, and I don't often have access to blue until turn four or so since it's not a priority until I go off. I like the number of Forests, but I might shave one for Simic Guildgate.

Would a Simic version of Avacyn's Pilgrim or Elves of Deep Shadow be too much to ask for, Wizards?

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 2:04 pm 

Edric's devious; he looks weak, but has a big impact.

In addition to your current spread of mana elves, Silhana Starfletcher can tap for blue, and maybe Quirion Explorer also.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 2:17 pm 

Starfletcher costs too much and Explorer is inconsistent. I would run Bloom Tender before either, but that has the problem of needing blue to get blue, which doesn't really help.

I sometimes wonder if Joiner Adept is worth it, but not ramping at all is a drag and probably makes it worse than Birchlore Rangers.

I really, really wish there was a creature that granted haste in these colors. This deck always feels short on ways to use all the Elves I cast in one turn. I've considered Fabricate, but the card is so useless outside of that very narrow application. Greaves could be okay, but it suffers from the same problem all my other haste-granters have: I have no reliable way to find it. Greaves and Muddle the Mixture could be a thing, since I can also use Muddle to find Survival and assorted relevant Elves, but that plan costs UU and is thus unreliable. Hmm.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-16 11:48 am 

Kemev wrote:
These are both acceptable reasons to play Hurricane :P
I was gonna say Boseiju also, because for some reason I thought it was sorceries only, but nm.

Is that really a drawback with Edric? It seems like there are usually two scenarios with 'em.

Scenario #1: You play Edric. Your opponents murder each other.
Scenario #2: You play Edric. Your opponents sit glaring sweatily at each other, like tubbier versions of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. They are murdered by a herd of elves.

Scenario #3: The table turns and kills you for daring to play Edric.

Edric is particularly scary because of the fact that if you're playing him, you can generally take extreme advantage of him. Your opponents may draw one or two cards from him but your flood of elves out of nowhere would just be silly
I'd say that if you add him to consider Eladamri, Lord of Leaves while you're at it. He's protection for all your elves from spot removal and a way to ensure your dudes get in for the draw effect(at least towards all those that play forests, but the real question is, how many decks don't play green in your meta).

Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief(Changes constantly)
Ink-Treader Nephilim(Group allowed)
Maelstrom Wanderer

Building Process:
Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius(Draw, Earthquakes, Fireballs)

Dismantled:
Uril, the Miststalker
Captain Sisay
Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-17 3:02 am 

FuegoRedux wrote:
Scenario #3: The table turns and kills you for daring to play Edric.

This was another issue I had with Edric. All else being equal, in a FFA EDH game I will try to kill the Edric player early to keep the card advantage under control. I'd rather not have the same thing happen to me. Vig draws enough hate as it is...

FuegoRedux wrote:
I'd say that if you add him to consider Eladamri, Lord of Leaves while you're at it. He's protection for all your elves from spot removal and a way to ensure your dudes get in for the draw effect(at least towards all those that play forests, but the real question is, how many decks don't play green in your meta).

My problem with Eladamri is that he turns off Seeker, Symbiote, and both Quirion and Scryb Rangers. Wraths have historically been a bigger problem than targeted removal because most of my Elves are fairly redundant.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-23 3:33 pm 

How many more blue sources do you need?

What if you added Abundant Growth?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-29 6:56 pm 

It will require you to branch into more blue, but I'm a fan of Omniscience. If you want to muscle Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir in there too, there are few way that your opponents can stop you from playing EVERYTHING.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-30 7:45 am 

brightmunkey wrote:
It will require you to branch into more blue, but I'm a fan of Omniscience. If you want to muscle Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir in there too, there are few way that your opponents can stop you from playing EVERYTHING.

Aluren is pretty much Omniscience in this deck. Also, if you want to actually play the big finishers you have - Joraga Warcaller, Hurricane, and Blue Sun's Zenith - you'll still have to spend mana.

Teferi is too blue-intense and not-Elf for what he does, although that effect would certainly be good.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-03 5:05 am 

SEeing this post made me really want to make a Momir elfball deck (my mono-green elf deck didnt work out).

After looking through some stuff, what about Magus of the Future and Garruk's Horde? These eliminate the need draw the cards you are stacking on the top of your deck.

Play any 1/1 elf for 1G, put one on top, play however many you can.

Edit: Throw in an Intruder Alarm with a Elvish Archdruid or Priest of Titania with one of the above mentioned cards out? You can play your entire deck.

Just make sure you have a way to shuffle your graveyard into your library in case of a wipe

Edit x2: Aluren? Good god. Throw in Garruk's Horde and play ALL of your elves for simply having your commander and those 2 cards in play. :shock:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-03 7:38 pm 

cab0747 wrote:
After looking through some stuff, what about Magus of the Future and Garruk's Horde? These eliminate the need draw the cards you are stacking on the top of your deck.

Oracle of Mul Daya too, for few those times when you need land

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-04 6:16 am 

Magus of the Future: Suffers from the same problems as Teferi, really: an effect that would be nice to have, but not at UUU and a non-elf.

Garruk's Horde: It's more expensive than Soul of the Harvest and Primordial Sage and is much worse than either when I don't have Momir Vig in play (which is most of the time since that guy has a battlefield life expectancy of negative zero). Not being an elf also hurts it.

Oracle of Mul Daya: Interesting. I'm not sure how badly I want this effect at four mana, but it certainly seems better than either Yeva or Packmaster in the four-drop slot. I could see dropping Yeva and Packmaster for Oracle and Joiner Adept, but I kind of like Yeva since she gives your guys pseudo-haste (play them EoT, use them on your turn).

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile