Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-17 4:30 am

Post subject: Goo Commander - A Commander variant
AgePosted: 2012-Sep-14 2:09 pm 

Recently, my play group and I have been becoming bored with standard commander. The same alliances always develop and the same people with the best decks win a much larger majority of games than others.

So, I put my thinking cap on, and “Goo Commander” is what came of it. We’ve been playing this variant for three months now, and are still not tired of it.

The concept is fairly simple.

It starts as a normal game. Play proceeds as per usual – until a player is reduced to less than one life by another player (or given their tenth poison counter, or door to nowhere’d, or general damaged out etc). If a player is legitimately killed by their own actions, then they are removed as normal. Also, if a player gets milled out, they are also removed.

But when a player kills another player (the killer thereafter referred to as the “King”), the defeated player (henceforth referred to as the “food”), instead of being removed from the game entirely, instead becomes a “Goo”, using the standard two-headed giant rules with the King. The King’s life totals, general damage status, poison tally is used for both players, and at the time the King would normally take his turn, instead both the King and the food take their turns at the same time. The food does not get a turn of its own any more.

The King also at this point declares what kind of “Goo” he and his food transform into. (We’ve had green goo, commando goo, infected goo, stabby goo, pineapple goo, polka-dot goo, cookies-and-creme goo, rottentomato goo, and a massive variety of others!)

The Food’s job is to aid its King in winning the game however they possibly can, as if they had been a two-or-more-headed giant from the start of the game. Foods are encouraged not to sulk and screw over their King deliberately as retaliation for subordinating their services, as this is against the spirit of the game.

After the first “Goo” is formed, the game at this point takes a turn for, usually, the better. Once the first “Goo” forms, for all the other players, all bets are off. They must quickly either form “goo” of their own by killing off each other, or work together to take down the new “Goo”. Otherwise, they quickly become food themselves.

Multiple “Goo” clusters often appear in the games – indeed, this is often the only way to defeat opposing “goos”, (without comboing off etc). And a “Goo” itself can be made into food. When a “goo” is killed, all players that are part of that “goo” (King or food) become food for a newly created goo.

There is no limit to the number of food that a king of a given “goo” can have; indeed, it usually ends up with one “goo” destroying all other “goos” to declare itself “the gooiest goo that was ever goopy.”

Recently, we have been working on an achievement system as well, in order to moderate the oft-unfair situations that this variant can cause, and give Kings-gone-food a chance to properly evaluate their impact on the game.

The downside to “Goo Commander” is that it isn’t for everyone – games can often be pretty unfair, and those looking for a slow-paced, less-intense game should consider their options carefully before partaking.

However, “Goo Commander” creates a commander game where resources of players that you are intending to make into food must be carefully protected, which makes cards like Armageddon, apocalypse, and the like are downright inefficient the majority of the time – a massive point in the games favour in our opinion (us being very protective of our lands), as it allows us to mercilessly mock the players that find it fun to reset the board over and over when their “food” that they create can do absolutely nothing to stop their king being consumed by a fast-recovering enemy.

It also creates situations where a player must manage their resources very carefully - as an ill-timed attempt to food somebody that either leaves you open to being fooded yourself or leaves your target still non-food will likely get that player fooded by an opportunistic player to your left. It's a highly tactical, decision-oriented game where a single player's action can have a serious effect on every other player. A player must be ready to seize whatever opportunity comes their way at a moment's notice. It creates a highly intense and challenging experience that my group and I just cannot get enough of.

Try it out. See how you like it. Like it or hate it, all feedback is appreciated.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Goo Commander - A Commander variant
AgePosted: 2012-Sep-14 11:19 pm 

An interesting variant, described in an engaging way. I think I'll suggest it to my play group, and if we try it out, I'll post some feedback.

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Goo Commander - A Commander variant
AgePosted: 2012-Sep-18 8:06 am 

Malekoda wrote:
An interesting variant, described in an engaging way. I think I'll suggest it to my play group, and if we try it out, I'll post some feedback.
Hey, like it or hate it, I'm just glad there are people willing to give it a go. ;)

Offline Profile