Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2014-Dec-18 8:30 am

Post subject: Best Jund-Coloured General
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-26 11:10 pm 

Thoughts?

I'm currently playing Xira Arien simply for the card-draw, RGB has more than enough firepower not to need a general that beats face as well.

I have a soft spot for Vaevictis Asmadi - Original elder-dragon. Flies. Beats face. Three flavours of fire-breathing. What more could you want?

Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund is probably the biggest face-beater of the Jund generals I can think of, plus he completely shuts down the wedge-Dragons (not such a big deal now that everyone is playing with the new commanders, however. Also, Homeward Path.)

Honourable mention: Bartel Runeaxe.

So, anyone got any others they favour? Kresh wrecks face with Gravepact and Butcher of Malakir style effects...

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Best Jund-Coloured General
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-26 11:31 pm 

I am currently working on a Kresh deck right now, though the downside is they are comparitively common around here. He does make a solid deck and usually wrecks faces.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-27 12:36 am 

I don't really like any of them much, but the standouts are probably Adun Oakenshield (for a grindy midrange deck), Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund (for dragon tribal or generic goodstuffs), Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (for graveyard combos), and Kresh the Bloodbraided (for Fling.dec).

Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius - Sorcery/Instant Control
Rasputin Dreamweaver - Blink
Teneb, the Harvester - Knight Tribal
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Life Gain, Life Payment

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-27 2:07 am 

Karrthus treats me pretty well, and I see kresh used to good effect, but that's it. Sek'Kuar would be cool to see. I think it would do really well, and a friend occasionally says he'll make it, but still hasn't. Vaevictis Asmadi takes more color than Karrthus, 1 more overall, and 3 more each turn, and the only benefit is fancy firebreathing. I haven't tried Xira or Oakenshirld, but getting a card each turn can't be bad, even for BRG.

EDH decklists! Post'em if you got'em!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-27 2:49 am 

I have a good friend that has Xira Arien for his general and I think it works well for a few reasons:
1. Like you said, Jund has plenty of firepower in other places anyway, so general damage is not usually the wincon.
2. Its a free card (at least) a turn
3. Since she is so non-imposing, people tend to ignore her, which allows him a few things
A. He gets to keep his 'free card per turn' effect
B. He does not need to waste mana by casting his general over and over again, so he can just play the rest of the beats in the deck
4. This might sound counter-intuitive, but it actually makes the deck run a little smoother by not having the general's abilities dictate what goes into it. RBG is probably the color combination with the most 'utility' cards. So it becomes much easier to build RBG Goodstuff.dec when you are not saying to yourself: "Self, that's a really great card, but my general just does not fit with that theme. Maybe I should use this other, slightly less awesome card since it fits the flavor better."

By no means do I think she is the end all be all or that you should never build a deck around a general, I was just saying that it works well for him.

Current Decks:
Zur the Enchanter---1v1 or multiplayer-douche deck
Doran the Seige Tower---Treefolk Tribal/Sapprolings
Damia, Sage of Stone---Work in progress (needs advice)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-27 5:28 am 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Darigaaz, the Igniter, who really sticks it to monocoloured decks.

TBH, unless you're playing a deck based around Sek'kuar, I have a soft spot for Karrthus, because he's a very short, hasty clock.

Check out my column, Generally Speaking, at CommanderCast.com
http://www.commandercast.com/category/a ... y-speaking

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-27 1:25 pm 

Based on my playstyle, I would choose either Xira Arien or Adun Oakenshield and make a goodstuff deck. They are kind of powerful and will keep the game going. I just like to play, not to end games fast. On the opposite side of the spectrum is Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund and Kresh the Bloodbraided, who both end games in a hurry (which I do not like) and are more of a build-around generals. Darigaaz, the Igniter would be an interesting choice for a themed deck (punishing handsize, etc. - he is in the right colours), I would love to play me some Grinning Ignus with Ignite Memories, that card looks awesome in foil!

Anyway, what is your playstyle?

Intet, the Dreamer RUG Manaramp a.k.a. the Lucid Dreamer

Tariel, Reckoner of Souls RWB Sneaky Blinks a.k.a. oops, I accidentally put an infinite combo in my deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-27 1:45 pm 

Depending on your group and strategy, you can have a few options for your general that all make a good deal of sense.
Xira and Adun are both 3 drops and both offer positive card advantage, one from the library and one from the other library [graveyard.] So with Xira you're going to want to focus that card draw into something useful, say....lots of drain and x-burns and earthquake effects and discard required spells/abilities, over and over and over again. Adun is a good general when your abusing him with Survival, Tortured Existance and Madness cards. I've seen one good deck with Adun and it was just amazingly fun to play against and I played it once, and it was amazingly fun. Watching Adun.

Karrthus makes a good beater, Voltron him up and drop in some control elements. He can also be fun to run just because hes such a good beatstick, in any Jund deck. Specific strats for him are just decks that cast Karrthus and other big fat beaters and turn them sideways until people die. Lightning Greaves is required.

Kresh is the "infinite combo" version of Karrthus, just make him really big via sacing stuff or one-sided board wraths and attack/fling him.

Darigaaz...is a suboptimal legend for EDH, even amog the other Dragon Legends/Elder Dragons. Vaevictis Asmadi is always better as a "turn it sideways" general then Darigaaz.

finally, Sek'Kuar is a fun general to play with if you fill your deck with cheap non-tokens and then drop a damnation or an o-stone to grab a small horde of 3/1 tokens.

Quote:
The name calling on Joz is in good fun; he is self-labeled as a horrible troll but is actually the kind of person you want on a forum that you frequent.

EDH Deck List

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-29 5:48 am 

Karrthus is too dangerous! I wouldn't play him without as protection as I'd need to sustain Maralen until my next upkeep.

Elder Dragons from Legends require an upkeep. This is a good thing, it keeps your opponents for trying to hard to get 'em for over a turn. Vaevictis is a beautiful general that when given trample, with Dragon Fangs, Loxodon Warhammer, or even Rancor, can one-hit players.

And here you are drawing an extra card every turn as the neat advantage you have in a Jund deck. You are essentially sacrificing a win condition in favor of a Lady Gaga look alike as your general over a classy, true, game-winning elder dragon.

I say ramp up the mana production and play Vaevictis for the kill.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-01 12:43 am 

Thoughts:

I would say that Vaevicti and the card-drawer are both flavorful but not actually, well, worthwhile. No offense. I just don't see them as playable for any power factor. For flavor, Jund-breathing is pretty cool.

Kresh is obviously a BAMF. I toyed around with building that deck, and ending up finding it... boring. This may just be my playstyle, or maybe I didn't go in depth enough, but he just seems really uninspiring. There are so many amazing combos with him that you don't even have to think about it. Earthquake? Sure. Damnation (with indestructibility)? Yes please. Pyrohemia, Pestilence? Definitely. Slice and Dice? OK. And on. And on. And on.

And the problem I had wasn't deciding which of those was the most awesome - it was deciding which of them put me to sleep the least. Another wrath effect, my general gets big, I swing and/or Fling. Rinse and repeat.

Yet another difficulty is the surplus of tuck effects now available.

White: Condemn, Hallowed Burial, Oblation
Blue: Hinder, Spell Crumple, Ether Well
Red: Chaos Warp

Plus a plethora of Unsummon and Timetwister combos.

The slight offset to that is that since you are playing black, you have access to maybe more tutors than all the other colors put together.

However, at the end of the day, if you're playing 20 Wraths, and no Kresh, they will either be masses of dead cards or the other players will be thinking: "Goddammit not another Wrath, we need to kill this guy."

If you're looking for pure power, Kresh or Karrthus are the way to go. Hasty (large) generals are powerful. Take a look at Thraximundar, as an example. You also have a pretty reasonable chance of stealing other players' creatures, or better yet their general. My big gripe against Karrthus is that you can't play Standardize with him. Oh well.

Sek'Kuar is fun. The way to really break him of course is through Insurrection, since he only cares if you *control* the creature. And keep in mind that unlike some similar effects, the tokens don't go away at end of turn, but they DO have haste.

So, my opinion in brief:

Best general for overall pure power, ignoring tucks: Kresh
Best general for more consistent power: Karrthus, since you don't have to build around as much
Best combination of cool/interesting effect and some power: Sek'Kuar
Best flavor general: Completely up to you of course, but Vaevictis Asmadi has the unique distinction of being the OG, or maybe EG (Elder General/Gangster?)

Uril, the Miststalker - here
Intet, the Dreamer - All Intet's Purposes
Sheoldred, Whispering One - here
Alternates
Skullbriar, the Walking Grave - mostly a 1v1 deck
Zedruu the Greathearted - here
Progenitus - five color superfriends

Offline Profile