Academy Ruins
Ghost Quarter
Halimar Depths
Reliquary Tower
Tectonic Edge
Temple of the False God
Island x32

Strategy:

Everyone who likes to draw cards, raise your hand. If I were to guess, just about all of you put a hand in the air, and those of you who didn't have failed to understand the question. Well, for all of you Magic players who enjoy card draw, this is the deck for you. With my general serving as a Howling Mine with a body, everyone around the table is sure to have hands chock-full of tasty goodness. Prosperity, Windfall, Blue Sun's Zenith, Stroke of Genius, Font of Mythos, Howling Mine, Otherworld Atlas, Temple Bell, Jace Beleren; the constant stream of card draw is sure to make you not a target (especially against players who haven't seen the deck before). And with a suite of counterspells and copy effects, you'll be very likely to control the board and keep troublesome threats far, far away.

Now, you might ask, "But what if I want to play this deck to win?" Well, that certainly doesn't become an issue once you start to take a closer look. Psychosis Crawler and Laboratory Maniac are the primary win conditions; if I stick a Consecrated Sphinx (or another reliable means of drawing card after card after card) alongside either of those threats, I'm in very good shape to take complete control of the game. The other means of winning involves milling out my opponents through the use of Windfall-type effects while I recycle my graveyard with Elixir of Immortality. Obviously, if they have Eldrazi, that might prove problematic, but then I can shift over to my other strategy with a full hand and a lot of power on the board. (And, of course, Rite of Replication can equal some hilarious "Oops, I win" moments.)

The deck doesn't have much of a problem with mana, considering that my general is a guaranteed second-turn drop. With that amount of cards, lands are rarely an issue, and Dreamscape Artist and some mana artifacts can even help out along the way. The real problem comes if I start to find myself with too many cards in hand and no Reliquary Tower or Venser's Journal. I have to be very careful with what I discard, as I like to keep a balance of both control and card draw spells in my hand. Archaeomancer and Snapcaster Mage, among others, can help to recur some of my more powerful spells, but in the early game, a high amount of cards in hand can mean some saucy spells get sent to the yard.

My meta doesn't have a ton of aggro decks, but I feel like that might be a weakness of this deck. It often takes qute a few turns for me to establish a board to my liking, and as much as I love my general feeding me cards, I don't like feeding the super-aggressive decks at the same time. The control cards and copy effects can help in that respect, but at the outset of the game, I need to have enough of those cards in hand to cover my backside.

Well, that's the deck! It's great fun to play if you like to have a hand full of cards and powerful stuff at your disposal. Please let me know what you think of it, and have fun out there in the Multiverse!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Kami of the Crescent Moon
AgePosted: 2013-Jan-27 4:28 pm 

If you want to make opponents draw some serious cards, you need Forced Fruition.

The rest of the list looks really fun. I'd probably play some mana doublers though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-28 7:38 pm 

nerothewizard wrote:
Everyone who likes to draw cards, raise your hand.

The deck looks like a lot of fun. I wanted to comment on this. Ironically, I had an Edric deck that was a group hug deck with lots of group card draw and surprisingly, it drew me TONS of hate (that decklist is in my sig). The play group I was playing with HATED having to discard cards at end of turn, and as a result, attacked me incessantly. It was really mind boggling to me.

Do you ever run into this?

Depending on whether or not you think this would be bad for your opponents, you could add Anvil of Borgardan to give yourself another Reliquary Tower effect, though it gives it to your opponents too. It also provides a free loot effect (which also incrementally helps to mill your opponents, if that's your goal). At that point, you could consider adding Viseling for some more incremental pain.

Forced Fruition is a great card, but be prepared for the panicked hate it'll bring.

Sharuum
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-28 9:07 pm 

shmebula wrote:
Ironically, I had an Edric deck that was a group hug deck with lots of group card draw and surprisingly, it drew me TONS of hate (that decklist is in my sig). The play group I was playing with HATED having to discard cards at end of turn, and as a result, attacked me incessantly. It was really mind boggling to me.

Do you ever run into this?

Most of the "hate" for this deck from my playgroup comes from the other guys I play with knowing that I can win almost out of nowhere. They don't mind discarding quite as much, more the fact that the deck is capable of some pretty stupid victories.

As for the Forced Fruition angle, I feel like it be much too obvious of a card to draw tons and tons of hate. This deck already has more than enough tools to succeed, and the instant I drop that, terrible things will happen to me. I might consider adding it in the future if I feel I need another win condition, but for now, I'll stick with my current list.

Thank you both for the responses!

Offline Profile