Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-16 3:36 pm

Post subject: Sneaky Blinks (Tariel, Reckoner of Souls)
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-27 4:48 pm 

Hello all,

this is the third iteration of a deck using WBR colours and I feel like I finally enjoy playing it. The reasons are:
1. It plays Sneak Attack.
2. It does not suck without Sneak Attack in play.
3. I feel it has lots of inner synergy... actually much more than I had originally thought and finding unforeseen card combinations on the fly is priceless :) .
4. It does not end games in a hurry and is well equipped for drawn-out games, if only thanks to Tariel.

The deck revolves around creatures with ETB abilities, so anything that helps them enter or re-enter the battlefield is potentially good. I believe that pretty much sums up the card choices I have made. I have purposedly stayed away from certain unpopular cards like the Eldrazi, Yosei, the Morning Star, Blightsteel Colossus, Desolation Angel and the likes, though I have included Worldgorger Dragon. It can combo out the table with a very specific combination of cards. However, that is not his purpose in the deck.

On a power scale from 1 to 5, I would give it a 3. It will not stand a chance against tier 1 strategies, and it will have a hard time keeping up with crazy ramp decks that just explode, but it has some powerful plays that may eventually dominate the game if unanswered. The most enjoyable games I have played have been against BG Glissa, the Traitor, basically a midrange goodstuff deck and the likes.

What I am looking for are suggestions for creatures with good ETB abilities that I may have missed or cards that work with the general theme of this deck as outlined above. I will give you the list of cards by type, then by function and in the end a list of cards that I am trying to fit in for a try. Thanks for reading and for your suggestions!

General: Tariel, Reckoner of Souls

Cards by type:

Lands (40)
11 Plains
1 Swamp
2 Mountain
Plateau
Sacred Foundry
Rugged Prairie
Boros Garrison
Arid Mesa
Badlands
Blood Crypt
Graven Cairns
Orzhov Basilica
Marsh Flats
Scrubland
Godless Shrine
Fetid Heath
Rakdos Carnarium
Bloodstained Mire
Dragonskull Summit
Command Tower
Rupture Spire
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Temple of the False God

Vesuva
Emeria, the Sky Ruin
Mistveil Plains
Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
Phyrexian Tower
High Market

Creatures (32)
Kami of False Hope

Wall of Omens
Stoneforge Mystic

Fleshbag Marauder
Stonecloaker
Auramancer
Duergar Hedge-Mage
Flickerwisp

Seht's Tiger
False Prophet
Dust Elemental
Glimmerpoint Staf
Academy Rector
Kor Cartographer
Magus of the Disk
Murderous Redcap
Galepowder Mage
Solemn Simulacrum

Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Archon of Justice
Karmic Guide

Grave Titan
Twilight Shepherd
Massacre Wurm
Duplicant
Adarkar Valkyrie
Sun Titan
Worldgorger Dragon

Vish-Kal, Blood Arbiter
Sheoldred, Whispering One
Rune-Scarred Demon
Angel of Despair

Artifacts (7)
Sol Ring
Skullclamp
Nim Deathmantle
Mimic Vat
Sunforger
Minion Reflector
Cauldron of Souls

Enchantments (9)
Inheritance
Land Tax
Animate Dead
Necromancy
Aura of Silence
Sneak Attack
Sigil of the New Dawn
Marshal's Anthem
Debtor's Knell

Instants and Sorceries (11)
Enlightened Tutor
Path to Exile
Swords to Plowshares
Sulfurous Blast
Return to Dust
Torrent of Souls
Living Death
Akroma's Vengeance
Planar Cleansing
Austere Command
Cauldron Dance

Cards by function:

I will try to break the decklist down to groups of cards that perform certain function to provide a hopefully easier overview of the synergies.

The Sunforger package:
Stoneforge Mystic
Mistveil Plains
Enlightened Tutor
Return to Dust
Sulfurous Blast
Swords to Plowshares
Path to Exile
I tried to keep this subtheme to a minimum, as it is not the main focus of the deck and fits more into the goodstuff category, while this deck is about synergy. However, Sunforger has proven so useful that I simply didn't want to leave it out. I have included the only truly necessary spells. Mistveil Plains sometimes enable recursion of already played spells, which is just neat :) . Last but not least is the +4/+0 bonus which makes Tariel hit that much harder.

Sneak Attack and...
Cauldron of Souls
Sigil of the New Dawn
Twilight Shepherd
Minion Reflector
Nim Deathmantle
Mimic Vat
Dust Elemental
Adarkar Valkyrie
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter
the "blink" dudes...
Sneak Attack is basically a mana engine for cheating creatures into play. I thought the real deal is when I actually get to keep them in play. Or better yet - put them into play from my hand again next turn. After they have done their thing, why not get some more value out of them by feeding them to Vish Kal.

Re-triggering ETB abilities (the blink dudes):
Galepowder Mage
Worldgorger Dragon
Flickerwisp
Glimmerpoint Stag
I only wish there were more cards like Kiki Jiki for this colour combination. Worldgorger can create a loop of any ETB creature effect.

Worldgorger Dragon + ...
Animate Dead
Necromancy
Minion Reflector
While I have no use for the infinite mana it generates, it is nice to get a few more ETB triggers, Just got to watch out for instant kill spells with Dragon's trigger on the stack. Can put away the game with a Murderous Redcap.

Recursion
Animate Dead
Necromancy
Debtor's Knell
Sheoldred, Whispering One
Living Death
Torrent of Souls
Cauldron Dance
Sun Titan
Emeria, the Sky Ruin
Marshal's Anthem
Sigil of the New Dawn
Creatures are bound to go to my graveyard, so I need ways of reaching them there :) .

Sweepers:
Magus of the Disk
Akroma's Vengeance
Planar Cleansing
Austere Command
Sulfurous Blast
False Prophet
Massacre Wurm
When looking for sweepers, I had to include some answers to two kinds of decks: Explosive decks with lots of permanents in play and token decks. Oblivion Ring should probably be in the list...

Card draw
Land Tax
Inheritance
Skullclamp
Wall of Omens
I never felt this deck particularly needs raw card draw, as it has other ways of generating card advantage. So I only play a few pieces that mesh in with the general playstyle of this deck. What it needs though are lands and land drops, therefore the Land Tax inclusion.

The ETB / put into the graveyard creatures:
Wall of Omens
Stoneforge Mystic
Fleshbag Marauder
Stonecloaker
Auramancer
Duergar Hedge-Mage
Flickerwisp
Academy Rector
Seht's Tiger
False Prophet
Dust Elemental
Glimmerpoint Staf
Kor Cartographer
Murderous Redcap
Solemn Simulacrum
Archon of Justice
Karmic Guide
Grave Titan
Twilight Shepherd
Massacre Wurm
Duplicant
Sun Titan
Worldgorger Dragon
Rune-Scarred Demon
Angel of Despair
A selection of (hopefully) the finest ETB creatures. I am not too happy with Wall of Omens, I might replace it with something else.

The odd ones out
Kami of the False Hope
Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
High Market
Phyrexian Tower
Aura of Silence
The Kami is a recurrable fog effect, which may come in handy often enough to guarantee inclusion. Sunhome is there for some quick beats. The manabase is stable enough to have this colorless land. The lands provide sac outlets, which go well with deck's recursion engines. Aura of silence can be recurred with Sun Titan.

Cards that I would like to put in:
Undertaker - This little unassuming card is actually quite powerful. Trading exessive lands for dead creatures good enough?
Hell's Caretaker - as close as I am going to get to a Recurring Nightmare in this format :) .
Razor Hippogriff - This card has value written all over it.
Wurmcoil Engine - definitely a good card... but how to find space for it? :(
Avatar of Slaughter / Victory's Herald - the Timmy part of me dreams of putting several dudes on the table with Sneak Attack along with either of these two... it has to be good, right? :)
Necrotic Sliver - he didn't make the cut as he has no ETB ability... still, I have fond memories of winning a few games with a Sun Titan and this little guy.
Volrath's Stronghold - I will have to move it from another deck, but if it belongs anywhere, it is this deck.
Wild Ricochet / Reiterate / Chaos Warp - these cards are the next additions for the Sunforger package if I can find space for them.

Intet, the Dreamer RUG Manaramp a.k.a. the Lucid Dreamer

Tariel, Reckoner of Souls RWB Sneaky Blinks a.k.a. oops, I accidentally put an infinite combo in my deck.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Sneaky Blinks (Tariel, Reckoner of Souls)
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-27 5:11 pm 

-Inheritance +phriexain arena
-wall of omens +I would suggest promise of power here,but necropedince is of course better,i would also try and fit wheel of forchane in here

can you really get Emeria, the Sky Ruin online in a 3 color deck?

False Prophet seems bad as you want to build a graveyard,also white has like 20 wraths to pick from,on top of that your playing black and red,you have lots of options for wipes

I'd replace Kor Cartographer with some better artifact ramp

I don't feel like listing pasifc examples right now, but feel free to ask

Our aim is not to make commander an unbreakable tournament format... it continues to be (and hopefully always will be) chock full of crazy powerful plays which you, the players, are trusted to explore rather than exploit.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-27 5:48 pm 

Kirby, thanks for your suggestions :) .

I actually like Inheritance. It is janky enough that others usually leave it alone. Phyrexian Arena just gets killed way too often. If I was looking for more potent card draw in a permanent, it would probably be Mind's Eye. Necropotence is not something I would put into this deck. I used to run Phyrexian Gargantua, but took it out for less mana-intensive Wall of Omens. Wheel of Fortune is nice, but I do not own one at the moment.

Artifact ramp is hard to come by... I do not want to play regular mana artifacts, they will get swept away. Any other creatures except for Solemn Simulacrum that ramp you up? Pilgrim's Eye does not put the land into play and Wayfarer's Bauble is not a creature...

As for Emeria - I have managed to get it online quite a few times. Almost half of the lands in the deck are plains and I usually search for a plains-type of land. The opportunity cost is quite low - I do not mind that it comes into play tapped, it usually fits reasonably into the curve.

False Prophet is indeed not very synergistic with Tariel, but removing some creatures from the game is desirable. I could see playing Desolation Giant or Kagemaro, First to Suffer in his place. Got any suggestions?

Tariel, Reckoner of Souls RWB Sneaky Blinks a.k.a. oops, I accidentally put an infinite combo in my deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-01 2:32 am 

Ok guys, let me reword my question for you:

"Which creatures with ETB effects would you run in this colour combination?"

I am looking for some awesome effects that I may have missed.

Anyway, played a couple 1v1 games (without generals, 25 starting life) two days ago against a dude with his supposedly tournament WUG deck with Mana Drain, Armageddon and stuff like that. Have to say, we finished 2:2, the games were pretty close... except the ones I drew into my Sneak Attack. In one game, I even had the Rune-Scarred Demon with it... it was too hard to resist and I comboed him out. He laughed at it, saying "Well, I lost to a Sneak Attack after all, that is nothing to be ashamed of".

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-02 8:21 pm 

Hamjam wrote:
"Which creatures with ETB effects would you run in this colour combination?"

Of the stuff I can think of that's not on your list, I would probably toss in some of these:
Cadaver Imp
Faceless Butcher
Fiend Hunter
Changeling Berserker
Conquering Manticore

I would go one step farther and use "dies" effects with sac outlets. This would give a little more flexiblity to faceless butcher and fiend hunter, and lead into crap like Yosei, Archon of Justice, Hoarding dragon (accompanied by some artifact creature), and maybe Spitebellows. Phyrexian Altar would be a must, so I could sac one that's coming out only to die for the next one in my hand, chaining for one initial R. Altar would go great with sigil of the new dawn and sneak attack by effectively making it cost 1(r/w) to reuse a creature. I'd probably run Brion Stoutarm, too.

EDH decklists! Post'em if you got'em!

Offline Profile