Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2014-Jul-24 4:20 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Pimped out decks, EDH edition
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-05 11:16 pm 

Come on! I'm surprised there isn't one of these here.
I KNOW that people out there have all Japanese or all-foil EDH decks.

Show em off!

My first pic would be what inspired me to build Dakkon Blackblade in the first place ...

$3 baby! 8)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-06 2:36 am 

About 80% of my Numot deck is foil, FBB Japanese or Korean, or some sort of promo. This is what I have left to pimp:

1 Darksteel Colossus
1 Aeon Chronicler
1 Goblin Welder
1 Exalted Angel
1 Mystical Tutor (looking for Japanese or Korean)
1 Gifts Ungiven
1 Tinker
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Timetwister (have to upgrade to Alpha/Beta)
1 Wrath of God
1 Take Possession
1 Pithing Needle
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Polluted Delta
1 Windswepth Heath
1 Flooded Strand
1 Tundra (FBB)
1 Wasteland

So yeah, it`s going to be a bit expensive and it will take a while longer to finish.

I`d post some pics but I`ve resolved not to do so until the deck is finished and at any rate I`ve been in Japan for 3 weeks and I won`t be back until Tuesday.

Last edited by AKFox on 2008-Jan-06 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Pimped out decks, EDH edition
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-06 7:51 am 

yawg07 wrote:
Come on! I'm surprised there isn't one of these here.
I KNOW that people out there have all Japanese or all-foil EDH decks.

Show em off!

My first pic would be what inspired me to build Dakkon Blackblade in the first place ...

$3 baby! 8)

I pimp my decks where I can, especially foils, but I avoid non-English cards whenever possible out of personal preference, mostly for clarity of what they do. Alas, my general Captain Sisay is a foreign foil because Simon was freaking awesome enough to give me one - and hence a reason to build a Sisay deck. Ditto for my Zhang Fei - he is Japanese nonfoil, but I had a hell of a time just finding ANY Zhang-Fei at any price because P3K isn't exactly laying all over unless it's Imperial Seal or something that sees Vintage play and hence has a secondary EBay market. My Moat is Italian because it was dirt cheap and in great shape that way. All other generals are foil except Nebuchanezzar.

Well, other than that, spread across decks I've got various stuff. Ghost Council has my foil Vampiric Tutor, my Impereal Seal and my signed Grim Tutor. My Savra deck has The Abyss, Diamond Valley, and Bazaar of Baghdad in it. Jhiora has my Beta Sol Ring, Beta Mana Vault, Beta Wheel of Fortune and the foil Mind's Desire of sentimental value I opened in the first full box I bought for myself (my first foil rare, period, and the card that sent me down Johnny road). Nebuchanezzar has my Alpha Demonic Tutor and my one Mana Drain with the artist signature - I'll probably put an unsigned Drain in Dromar. I have a Forcefield in my Tsabo Tavoc deck. Borborygmos runs Berserk. I wish Library of Alexandria were legal - I had two, sold the unsigned one a while back, thinking I only play singleton formats anymore. Now my signed one does nothing but look pretty in a safe. I sold my signed Timetwister in the same sale, and that is legal in this format (and would go into my Jhiora deck to boot). Big doh. That deck doesn't run quite enough artifacts to justify getting a Mishra's Workshop for it.

Pretty much other stuff I have is scattered foils and earliest edition if I can (although I am very fond of 10th in many cases due to the new black borders). All of my non-snow basics must be foil in all of my decks, hand-picked for my favorite art. I dont have an all-foil deck, and I don't know if I will - that seems awfully time consuming, expensive, and make me ask "which deck?" and do dumb stuff like get beta duals for it, which would really not be worth th pimp/cost ratio.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-06 8:16 am 

If a card isn`t available in foil (i.e. pre 7th/Urza`s Legacy) I prefer to go with FBB. I`m perfectly happy with FBB duals, Sol Ring (I may get the foil promo now that is somewhat cheaper but for now FBB is pimp enough), Mana Vault, etc and don`t wish to pay what Beta would cost in comparison to FBB. I could play with Beta basics but I don`t want to have a deck with mostly foil spells and non-foil lands.

The only card that I have to get in Beta is Timetwister, which is unfortunate because I used to own an exquisite Alpha Twister, before the days of EDH. Even though I own the power 9 and play vintage, I never felt the need to pimp my decks out, so I traded my Beta Lotus, Sapphire, Emerald and Alpha Ruby and Twister for Unlimited versions + money. I`m going to upgrade back to an Alpha/Beta Twister this spring.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-22 9:23 am 

Two more cards to go (Wasteland and Windswept Heath) and my deck will be fully pimped. I should be getting them by the end of the week, and then I'll post some pics.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-22 9:42 am 

AKFox wrote:
Two more cards to go (Wasteland and Windswept Heath) and my deck will be fully pimped. I should be getting them by the end of the week, and then I'll post some pics.
Excellent! I look forward to it :D I've got some new stuff coming down the tubes as well.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-23 8:46 am 

I pimped out my rat deck by making sure that:

A) Every card is black bordered.
B) No foils.
C) Every card is extremely worn out.
D) Every card relates to the Rat theme.

Instead of crisp cards with foils or DCI stamps or something, I thought it would be kind of neat to do the exact opposite for a deck based around creatures that live in garbage.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-23 11:46 am 

matthew wrote:
I pimped out my rat deck by making sure that:

A) Every card is black bordered.
B) No foils.
C) Every card is extremely worn out.
D) Every card relates to the Rat theme.

Instead of crisp cards with foils or DCI stamps or something, I thought it would be kind of neat to do the exact opposite for a deck based around creatures that live in garbage.

http://www.kenmeyerjr.com/magic/altered/cards.htm

you know you want Oscar the Grouch cheering your team on or something.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-23 3:43 pm 

Philatio wrote:
you know you want Oscar the Grouch cheering your team on or something.

No, I don't. But I wouldn't mind having Willard as my general.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0310357/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-25 12:02 pm 

The boss, the king, the shah...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-25 1:39 pm 

Wow, very nice deck! The only part of my decks that is pimped out, is the general, (all of which are foil), the basic lands (all unhinged), and a few textless cards (Condemn, Hinder). Hopefully I'll be able to get them pimped out within a few months.

norbert88

Momir Vig, Simic Visionary
Tolsimir Wolfblood
Kangee, Aerie Keeper
Verdeloth the Ancient
Phelddagrif
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
Hakim, Loreweaver
Seizan, Perverter of Truth
Horde of Notions
Thelon of Havenwood
Zedruu the Greathearted
Lyzolda the Blood Witch

In progress:
RG Tribal Werewolves/Humans/Wolves

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-25 3:36 pm 

Very nice.

Though I must ask is Hinder being run in these decks just because it is textless?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-25 3:56 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Hinder is a permanent solution to Generals. It's one of the best counterspells in the format.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-25 8:43 pm 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:
Hinder is a permanent solution to Generals. It's one of the best counterspells in the format.

Yeah, awkward wasn't thinking :oops:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-26 2:07 am 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:

Not when your playgroup refuses to believe that generals can shuffle into the library and declare it a house rule that they can't.

norbert88

Momir Vig, Simic Visionary
Tolsimir Wolfblood
Kangee, Aerie Keeper
Verdeloth the Ancient
Phelddagrif
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
Hakim, Loreweaver
Seizan, Perverter of Truth
Horde of Notions
Thelon of Havenwood
Zedruu the Greathearted
Lyzolda the Blood Witch

In progress:
RG Tribal Werewolves/Humans/Wolves

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next